Tuesday 1 May 2012

ROUGH SLEEPER

He was there
I didn't hear him enter
Life in a bag on his shoulder
Head lowered
Eyes watching the back of the room.

"Brew?"
He nodded, sat at a table
"Milk? Sugar?"
Another nod
"How many sugars?"
No answer, a nod wouldn't do
I placed the sugar
On the table.

He drank slowly
Warming bones takes time
Later he reached for clean clothes
Then returned from his shower.

"Dinner? Tata Hash?"
He nodded
I left the brown sauce with the plate
And refilled his cup
His face looked painful
The gash across his eyebrow deep
External wounds
They would heal.

He turned the pages of the paper
And didn't read a word
The rain beat the windows outside
The clock ticked
When it was time
He moved.

His life returned to his shoulder
I didn't watch him leave
I pray he returns.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment